Stupid: The Car Edition

So I have this car, his name is Arthur - because he's an adorable somewhat crotchety old man.  I know you're supposed to name cars after girls.  But he's Arthur, and he reminds me a little of my Grandpa to whom he previously belonged.   

All my students seem to think he's the most wonderful vehicle they've ever laid eyes upon.  

I sometimes think the gang loves Arthur more than I do.  I'm okay with that.    





Instagram Post: "Old School Parking Buddies!"
 (In fact, one of our sound designers claims that his "antique" pickup - "Flo" is going steady with Arthur.  Based on his current diagnosis, I'm a little worried about the longevity of their relationship.) 


That's possibly because they also think he's an "antique."  (Although, according to the BMV, he kinda is - because any vehicle older than 20 years is considered an antique and doesn't have to pass emissions testing Since Arthur is a rather rusty 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera he doesn't count.  (Ha ha!  Victory is mine!)

It snowed.  In Texas.  They were excited. 
 
They apparently love me, Arthur, and mustaches.

But at the same time, there's a great amount of stupid involving owning an older car - namely in the roulette of what part will malfunction/go wrong/blow up/fall off next.   

Did I mention that the same students also have an ongoing pool as to how long it will take for Arthur to kick the bucket or for me to throw in the towel and get a new car?  

Here's a short list of all the things gone wrong on Arthur in the last 12 months.  The Car Guys on NPR would have a field day with us.  Too bad they're not on the air anymore.  

Alternator (Replaced by my cohort in crime and lover of a good dish of Pho, my former TD)
Radiator (New one put in by a friend's ex. (it's awkward, I know) 
Idler-Pulley (Took that one to the mechanic) 
Left-side radio speakers (I just deal.) 
Ceiling upholstery drooping (again - dealing) 
Muffler rusting through at the front and chunking off (Had two theatre majors wire it back together) 
Muffler falling off again (took it to the only shop in town when I realized I was even more deaf then before.)  


Valve Cover Gasket
Disc Brake Rotor
Front Brake Pads & Shoes
Front Brake Calipers
Thermostat and Gasket
Radiator Hose/Pipe 
Radiator Fan Motor 
(Discovered after I got my muffler fixed when I pulled into the oil change shop with the car clicking and smoking, and generally almost catching on fire.  Apparently the "little problem with the brakes" and the "small oil leak" were a bigger deal than I thought. )
Massive rust from a combination of Indiana winters' salting and Texas rainstorms and heat

I'm sure there's probably some other stuff wrong - oh that's right - the passenger side rear-view window is missing - but that's cause my grandpa may have taken it out during an altercation with a mailbox.  Oh, and I need to find another bolt for my front license plate.  

So yes.  Any sensible person with disposable income would just... get another car. 
But at least I HAVE a car. 
And it runs pretty well now, considering the above. 

I think I'll keep him a bit longer. 

It's kinda the principal of the matter.  


 

Comments

  1. Apparently I needed to be signed in before I comment. Let me try again. I was saying I liked this post and the photos. I never thought about my car having a personality. I don't think it does. So why name it? Those old cars are way more comfortable than the newer ones. My first car was a Cutlass supreme. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away. Coherence is not required, basic social etiquette is appreciated.