Sword Art Online Limited Edition Blu-Ray Box Set 1

INTRODUCING:
POSSIBLY THE MOST RIDICULOUS PURCHASE OF MY ADULT LIFE


It's one of those hard facts of life, like the fact that taxes have to be filed every year or that you will never have "enough" Legos no matter how many you acquire - anime is expensive. 
Sure, you can find Naruto and Bleach for cheap second hand, maybe even Fruits Basket. But anything even slightly more obscure than that is going to be hard to come by and pricey. And when you get into limited and special editions, well ...
When I was offered summer work my initial thought was, as it is every summer - "Work bad! No work! Live like hermit good!" However, my more practical self reminded my hermit self that I do need to replace my car eventually - preferably before winter hits. My responsible self chimed in, suggesting that a little professional development and networking wouldn't hurt us. (Yes, I am plural in my head.)
But the voice that carried the day was that little voice - you know the one, that voice that tells you that midnight is a great time to make homemade donuts and that really, the laundry might wash itself if you only give it a chance - which said, "You know, if we work during the summer, we could totally justify purchasing the limited editions of SAO."
After all, if you do something you don't really want to do, you should reward yourself, right?
Having received my first summer paycheck, I purchased the first of four box sets. According to the shipping estimate, it was due to arrive tomorrow.
Well, I got home from work sticky from my bike ride. My shoulders were sore from loading down my backpack with groceries on the way home. And I had stubbed my toe and cracked the nail, one of the most painful injuries known to man.
But on my doorstep was a package - a lovely, blu-ray-case-sized package. 

Did I immediately put on the bonus soundtrack before even taking a shower? You bet your sweet sandwiches I did.  
I've tried to avoid rewatching SAO too much. Sometimes, no matter how much you like something, if you watch it too many times the fun wears off. (Cough, S'ra, cough, Newsies. Cough.) So I've only watched the series through ... yeah, four times. Once quite recently. But as soon as the music began playing, I wanted to watch it again. And I will - just as soon as I finish listening to the soundtrack.
(Note - this is the original soundtrack, so if you get it don't expect the opening and closing songs. Those are by specific artists and you can buy them elsewhere. The OST is great all by itself, of course.)
Tangent - although I own a blu-ray player, these are actually the first blue ray discs I've ever had. I've been vaguely worried that they wouldn't play - what if I accidentally bought a bleu-ray player or something, that would only play fancy cheeses? You never know. It could happen. No worries, I've now tested it and it works on discs. I don't know about cheeses. 
I'm a little divided - should I rewatch SAO with the subs, as I have always done, or should I try watching the dub? (Subs vs. Dubs is a whole other conversation, and I won't go there right now.) I'm curious to know what the English voicework is like. Perhaps I'll give it a try and see. I can always switch back if I don't like it.

Update: The dub is actually pretty good thus far - it's just really weird to hear voices I'm not expecting coming - in English - from the characters. 


Comments