Convincing People you've Graduated, and other woes of youth.

* This post has footnotes!  Even more reading fun at the bottom of the post!

Since it's summer, as an educational type, I have a little more flexibility in my schedule (read: YAY vacation!  Professors love it too!) and therefore much more visiting of E happens.  Currently, We're more than a day's worth of travel away*1, so I get all super-hyper about hanging out, you know, sitting around and fan-girling over stuff on crunchy roll and dramafever in person, next to each other on the couch, while eating gyoza (although that didn't happen, I'm devastated that I haven't tasted your amazing gyoza yet, E!) 

But occasionally, we also go places and do stuff.  In this case, being bereft of a vehicle* 2, we strolled on over to the local grocery store.   While in the checkout line, glowing with health*3 we were once again asked for some reason, if we were "done with school."  to which we both replied: "yes, for the year."

And then came the requisite explanation that "No, we weren't students at one of the four local colleges, we were faculty/staff."  Then came the slightly incredulous looks and the slightly embarrassed apologies that they had guessed we were so young.

It happened again after church. We had strolled in once again.*4    The very friendly pastor greeted us at the door, remembering E and wondering if I'd moved to the area, "No, I'm visiting, but yes, I will still accept your freshly baked chocolate chip cookies with pecans and caramel.*5

"Are you done with school now, E?"
"For the year."
"Oh, what year are you, are you a senior now?"
"Uh, no.  I actually work there."
"Oh..."
And then I babbled on about being college roommates and how we both work at colleges, and this is usually the time that E is giving me signals to stop being social and chatty so we can run away.

On the walk home we discussed just what the heck it is that makes us appear so young.  

I know, I know - we have heard all the sighs of "oh just wait until you are eighty, then you are REALLY going to appreciate it.  Yes, that's great, but how does that help us now?  We say, with the typical youthful belligerence against planning towards the future. It's not that I want to be mistaken for 50 or anything.  It's just occasionally baffling that this happens so often.

Granted at that particular moment, we were both dressed rather causally, and I am sporting blue, purple, and dark brown tresses - but I've worked with 65year old ladies with crazier hair than mine.*6

Let me clarify.  It's not that people are under the impression I am incapable of finishing my education, it's just that they seem to be several years behind my current life events.

I can't really blame them, there are a lot of random people in my life, which I see randomly.  I haven't got the slightest clue how many of my former high school classmates are married, divorced, or heaven forbid, what grade their children are in.  I have a hard enough time trying to remember everyone's name when I come home to visit and end up at the local Wal-Mart.*7

I don't usually mind, but sometimes it's annoying.  I think it might be more annoying for E than I... but it does get old arguing with the parking dept. that you need a FACULTY sticker, not a student one.  That yes, you are over 17, and you can purchase Braveheart without being totally traumatized.*8  And thank you I know I look young, that I will "appreciate this later" but as I'm at least 1/2 Asian, that means I will apparently look 18 for years, and then suddenly collapse with wrinkles like a very happy shar-pei.  I can't say that I'm upset about those particular genes or anything.  I like wrinkly, happy, shar-peis. 

Like this one: 

The wisdom of Satchel Pooch. 
 
And I don't really "do" that super-mature-trendy-professional attire thing.  Maybe it has to do with some sort of subconcious rebellion against being "in the box."  I didn't really color outside the box, I was more like - unaware that "the box" was a thing you had to color at all.   
I was the kid who rebelled against school uniforms, only to now think maybe, they could have been cool. *9  I work in theatre (and occasionally in opera and independent film) and so while there are a lot of impeccably dressed, slick-looking individuals, as a artist and a techie, I don't cope well with skirt suits that aren't adorably vintage or vaguely... you know... cosplayish.  

Not so much this. 
More like this.  It's a Sherlock Wallpaper Dress!!!
All this to say, that while I very definitely have an AWESOME silver-white streak going in at my temple*10 and several impressive forehead wrinkles of concentration, and am not what you'd exactly call a "nubile young nymph" in figure - somehow with my high voice and my penchant for fandom t-shirts have given people the impression that I am still somehow after my diploma.*11

To that end, I have come up with the following solutions to this ever-present problem.  Prepare yourself to be impressed.


Solution # 1. 
Alter my makeup routine to a more in-depth concept something like this:
Not me, but a fellow colleague who was a very good sport.

After all, I am a trained makeup artist.


Solution # 2. 
Wear more heels.  It seems glamorous-professional types are always going around with 4 inch heels. 

Oh wait, maybe those are models.  


Solution # 3.
Practice Grown-up Conversation.

"So, how do you feel about the trend towards the Maldives in terms of stay-cations?"  

"I'm not sure that this new cayenne pepper-lemon kale smoothie really fits within the parameters of my new paelo-vegan lifestyle.  Are you sure it's organic?"  

"So Tiffany, are you worried about your investment portfolio in this harsh economic climate?" 
(Note to self, discover more about investment portfolios and if indeed have one.)


Solution # 4. 
Take up age-appropriate hobbies. 
What do "normal" people my age do? 
Hmm.... 

Apparently they:

 Work too much
From the hilarious blog Q2Q.  Find the rest of them at  http://q2qcomics.com/   Sorry for the nabbing, don't hate me!



   Shop with friends


  Attend social events


 And watch entertaining things.

Oh, I don't think that's quite right.


I'm not sure I can do this...

I might have some sort of breakdown.  I might throw in the towel and start wearing ginger wigs with curlers and red muumuus (or whatever the heck I decided to wear in this photo) and become a grumpy old lady at the Happy Old Folks Home. 



I look forward to it. 

P.S. I was going to tell you more about Mabel and Eunice, our incarnations as residents of the Happy Old Folks Home, INC.  but that too, will have to wait for another day. 



**NOW! with FOOTNOTES! **
1. Unless I fly, and let's face it, that's expensive and uncomfortable as of late. 
2. It's a long story.  We'd rather not get into it.  Also, walking....harder than you'd might think, in a country where we have crap public transportation outside of large cities.  More on that some other time.
3. Read: sweaty and sunburned in slightly grubby tank tops.
4. And later decided on the Epic Quest for the Cheeseburger - but that is also another story.
5. Yes, they were as amazing as they sounded.  
6. Makeup, Hair, and Costume people.  We're exciting.    
7. This might be because I may have purposely gone all BSOD on my years in Jr. High and High School out of sheer self-preservation and therefore there are gaps akin to what you might find if I had locked myself in the dark room for long hours of "extra-curricular activity" like the rest of my photography class.
8. You can purchase it, but there may be trauma by that end scene.  
9. Okay, the well-fitted/drawn uniforms in a lot of anime and kdrama.  And even some in real life.  But the western tradition of sorta-matching polo shirts and sloppy khaki pants/skirts in horrible colors STILL does not appeal. (I feel obliged to point out that khaki pants are generally ... khaki colored.)
10. I forsee possible evil kdrama mother roles in my future.  Or maybe Court Lady Choi-esque!  Definitely Court Lady Choi, she is my hero!
11. I'm not saying I'm 100% done getting ANY diplomas.  Just you know, I've already got some.  

Comments